What Materials Make a Great Bocce Court Surface?
For the increasingly popular sport of bocce, the quality of materials used in the playing surface is an important consideration. When building a court in your backyard, choose lasting materials that are also low maintenance. The surface should facilitate fast play and offer minimal bounce. At Lyngso, we offer high quality landscaping and hardscaping supplies with expert advice. We can help you create the perfect recreational space and enjoy outdoor living. Learn more about the materials that make a great bocce court surface and the key steps involved in installation.
Tips to Install the Perfect Bocce Court
- Pick the right size: According to the US Bocce Federation, professional courts are typically 13’ x 91’. Recreational courts are smaller in length and width, with some as low as 60’. Decide on the right size, depending on the space you have available.
- Identify a good location: Consider the area along your fence, a wall or a side yard that is long and narrow. This type of space is ideally suited for building a bocce court.
- Choose the best surface materials: A variety of materials are used to create playing surfaces, including grass, artificial turf and clay. Professionals recommend using sand, crushed stone or oyster blend. These materials allow the balls to roll fast and track straight. They also absorb bounce and allow better drainage. The Bocce Standards Association suggests removing any organic matter and topsoil before installing the stone screening and surface course.
- Ensure unobstructed drainage: Proper drainage is critical to maintaining the integrity of your court’s surface. Install a French drain around the perimeter of the court and weep holes. This will serve to prevent ponding which causes surface erosion and damage.
- Add style with a border: Give your creativity free reign and showcase your stylish tastes. Decorative aggregates framed by a natural stone or wooden border can add an elegant touch to your game area.
Find Quality Bocce Court Surface Materials at Lyngso Garden Materials
At Lyngso, we offer the leading brands and an array of tools to create stunning outdoor spaces. Whether you are a homeowner or contractor, the experienced staff at our family-run business is here to provide you with impeccable products and services.
For more than 60 years, customers in Los Altos, Mountain View, Foster City, Palo Alto, San Bruno, Sunnyvale and South San Francisco, CA have been the heart of our business. You can count on us for quality bocce court surface materials at competitive prices.
Call 650-364-1730 today or drop by and get your bocce court surface supplies at Lyngso Garden Materials.